Wednesday, April 23, 2014

WE ARE HAIR AFFAIR HAIR SHOW: Interview w/ Posh Beauty Bar

Again, I must say that the 'We Are Hair Affair' Hair Show buzz is in full swing. This show will be uber fabulous and I had the pleasure of interviewing yet another salon that will definitely turn up the heat in this fantastic hair show. Below you will find my interview with the awesome owner of Posh Beauty Bar, Bobby Jean Patrick, and her amazing stylists. Please enjoy getting to know them a little better. 



“WE ARE HAIR AFFAIR” INTERVIEW: POSH BEAUTY BAR

 

Though Posh Beauty Bar is set on a nice little side street off of Albemarle Road;  The ladies that I found as I walked insidemore than made up for it with their huge personalities. As the 3 beautiful stylists prepared for their photo shoot, touching up makeup and hair, we chatted it up about their future and how they came to be involved with ‘Posh Beauty Bar’. I must say that it was an absolute pleasure speaking with these ‘Posh’ and poised women.

 

I first spoke with the stylish owner of ‘Posh Beauty Bar’ Ms. Bobby Jean Patrick.

 

TKHC: Tell me a little bit about yourself.


Bobby Jean: I am from Long Island, NY. I’ve been doing hair as a licensed cosmetologist for 15 years. I took a chance and came to Charlotte 5 years ago to open my own salon. I’ve also been in a couple of competitions here. I’m avid about giving back to the community. During the holidays, for example, I gave 5 homeless women makeovers as well as 5 youth makeovers for a church.

 

TKHC: How did you get into the hairstyling business?


Bobby Jean: I used to watch my grandmother doing hair as a child.

 

TKHC: What made you want to be an owner vs. just being a stylist?


Bobby Jean: I’ve always wanted to be an owner when I was fresh out of Cosmetology school. While in New York, I studied under a guy as an assistant for 2 years. After that, I took a chance because I knew that I could do it.

 

TKHC: How would you describe your personal style?


Bobby Jean: I’m outgoing, very relaxed, and not as strict as I should be. I love people, which is the real reason why I’m in this industry.

 

 

TKHC: What are your biggest challenges in this industry?


Bobby Jean: My biggest challenges are stylists taking their jobs seriously as well as trying to teach them everything that I know so that they will be able to assist clients when I’m not here.

 

 

TKHC: What are your goals for 2014 and beyond in the beauty industry?


Bobby Jean: I hope and pray that I’ll be able to open another salon this summer. I would also like to open a beauty school within the next 5 years.

 

TKHC: What will this hair show do for your brand?


Bobby Jean: It’s a great chance to get my brand out in Charlotte. It’s also a great chance to meet other stylists and barbers, as well as promote my salon.

 

 

I then spoke with the lovely Ms. Jessika.

 

 

TKHC: Why did you become a stylist?


Jessika: I’ve always loved making people happy, because we girls care about our hair and appearance. My aunt and godmother were also stylists, so I grew up around it and fell in love with styling.

 

TKHC: How did you know that ‘Posh’ was a good fit for you?


Jessika: I’m actually engaged to the owners’ nephew. When I met her, we just clicked. I also like the atmosphere of the salon, she teaches me a lot, and is like an auntie.

 

 

TKHC: How do you describe your personal style?


Jessika: I am different. I like to stand out, but not stand out if that makes sense. I like things that the average person may not like, yet, many ask me about my style.

 

TKHC: How do you connect with your clients?


Jessika: I keep it the same way, (personable), as I am with my friends.

 

TKHC: How do you keep up with style trends?


Jessika: I keep up with style trends by looking through magazines and social media sites such as Instagram and Facebook. I like to be different, so I’m really in love with Paris styles and other countries’ styles. I also like the body wave or “white girl” styles right now.

 

TKHC: Give me one reason why this hair show is good exposure for you as a stylist.


Jessika: Having different people look at you and your work is a good thing. I aspire to be a celebrity stylist, so I feel that any exposure is good exposure.

 

TKHC: What are your goals for 2014 and beyond in the beauty business?


Jessika: I would like to be a celebrity stylist before I’m 25.

 

 

Last but not least, I spoke with the very sassy Ms. Tiffany.

 

 

TKHC: Why did you become a stylist?


Tiffany: I’ve liked doing hair since I was 10 years old. It actually came natural to me, plus I love people and seeing their reaction after makeovers.

 

TKHC: How did you know that ‘Posh’ was a good fit for you?


Tiffany: We met at another salon, where I was a lead stylist. I felt really comfortable with B.J. (owner). She’s not selfish like other industry mentors. Whatever she knows or does, she’ll show us. She also teaches us to be business owners not just good stylists.

 

TKHC: How do you describe your personal style?


Tiffany: I’m fun but sexy. I love showing my legs, I always have them out.

 

TKHC: How do you connect with your clients?


Tiffany: I always try to give them the best advice. I’m also very funny and try to be as personable as possible. I love to cater to my clients.

 

TKHC: How do you keep up with style trends?


Tiffany: I keep up with style trends by going on social media, reviewing different hair shows, and staying in tuned with the media.

 

TKHC: Give me one reason why this hair show is good exposure for your brand.


Tiffany: I will be able to network, market myself, and promote my work.

 

TKHC: What are your goals for 2014 and beyond in the beauty business?


Tiffany: I want to become my own brand. I’m going to keep working hard on branding myself by being professional minded. I also am interested in expanding my brand into journalism and broadcasting, and just living out my dream, which includes opening a gas station, I want to do it all.

 

 

I think these ladies really have their heads on straight and will be very successful in all of their endeavors. They were fun yet sophisticated and meshed really well together. I wish them nothing but the best and most definitely look forward to what they will bring to the ‘We Are Hair Affair’ Hair Show.




Dee Shaw,

Fashion & Beauty Blogger

ThisKittenHasClaws.com