Tuesday, April 29, 2014

WE ARE HAIR AFFAIR: Interview w/ Nu-U Barbershop & Salon

The 'We Are Hair Affair' Hair Show is now in full swing. Charlotte, NC and surrounding are in high anticipation of the most talked about hair show, going down this Sunday, May 4th, 2014. I know that I am definitely ready to see what everybody will bring to the table. Especially, the owner of Nu-U barbershops and salons, Don Johnson, and his team of barbers and stylists. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know each of them individually and as a whole. Please enjoy the interview below.




WE ARE HAIR AFFAIR INTERVIEW: NU-U BARBERSHOP & SALON

 

 

I recently had the privilege of talking not only to the barbers of Nu-U but to the adjacent salons’ stylists and nail technicians. The setting was relaxed and ended up being a round table discussion more so than an interview. I could tell that the owner, Don Johnson, is very loving and attentive to his employees, speaking of them as family, yet, he’s firm in his belief that they all have the potential to reach their respective goals individually as well as a group, to grow and brand Nu-U’s barbershops and salons. As you will find in the interview, when the questions were asked, Mr. Don opened the floor to all that were willing let loose and be vulnerable in the group setting. I most definitely enjoyed interviewing them all as a whole and wish them nothing but the best in their endeavors in reaching their goals in 2014 and beyond.

 

 

TKHC: What made you become a barber?


Scootie: I’ve always wanted to own my own barbershop.

Juice: The economy was bad, so I did what came natural.

Coly: I’ve been cutting hair since I was 13 for fun, and then I got serious about it.

Luis: I had a day job with the state, the economy went bad, I had a natural talent, so I said, “Why not, the sky’s the limit”.

Razor: Barbering is apart of my purpose, so I said, “Stop fighting against it”. It was difficult at first, now I’ve been at it for 28 years.

 

 

TKHC: What are your biggest challenges?


Talia: Believing in myself and stepping out on faith. I’ve been doing this for 12 years, so I have to make sure that I don’t become complacent.

Natalie: My challenge was the money isn’t consistent, and I didn’t have faith that I would get that next client. At one point I needed to go back to corporate America. Now, everyday I say affirmations, won’t sleep, but I keep pushing.

Barbara: For me it was starting over. I was a stylist in Arizona for 18 years. I had to stop second guessing myself, and making sure that I’m building my business by passing out flyers and things of that sort.

Tiffany: I tend to over analyze. I’m OCD and I second guess myself. I’ve been building for 14 years and the challenge for me,is my belief in my craft.

Towanda: My challenge is that I don’t take pictures of my work. I also need to get out and promote myself.

Razor: There are different levels in this business, which consist of job, hustle, profession, and career. You have to maintain each level. You have to be careful, with the hustle part of it, however, because with that comes envy, greed, and jealousy. You must intertwine all levels and maintain all goals. I must also be invested in myself to where the money is coming in. I’ve worked at 20 different barbershops, I’ve started over, and I developed strategies that I have to put to use. Strategies overcome victories.

 

 

TKHC: Why do you feel that this hair show is good exposure?


T.MariaIt gives us the opportunity to build and brand ourselves. Also, as a black nail technician, it gives me more exposure on a different level.

 

 

TKHC: What are your goals for 2014 and beyond in this Industry?


Adrian: My goal is to brand myself. I feel that this is my craft and people should be willing to pay for it. If I take time with you, then you should be willing to pay for my time.

Natalie: My goals are to brand my business, ‘Exquisite Designs’, and expand my business from New York to Paris.

T.MariaMy goal is to think broader knowing that the sky’s the limit.

Luis: Because the numbers are important in this business, my goals are to keep track of productions and to become more productive.

Barbara: My goal is to get more “East Coast” with my styles. Because styles that are big out west, clients have never heard of here.

Coly: My goal is to be better than I was in 2013. I want to grow stronger mentally, physically, and spiritually. I also want to take my business above and beyond last year.

Teice: I want to expand my brand. You have to move around and not be afraid to do so. I’ve been doing this for 5 years and I want to draw people from every side of town. I also want to get better with time management because people respect you for being respectful of their time.

Tiffany: I want to get more recognition and bring more attention to American braiders. I also want to compete more in shows.

 

The interview wrapped with Nu-U owner, Don Johnson, speaking to the entire shop about his passion and convictions about the future of the barbershops and salons as well as where they should all have their heads moving forward. He was stern, yet, caring in his approach, so much so, that it truly resonated within me.

 

 

Don: It’s time to take more responsibility and claim your number. For example, “I am an immaculate barber”, “I am an amazing braider”, “and I am an awesome nail technician”. No matter what you do, be who you are. Claim your number and clock in. Clocking in, helps an employer keep track of your time at work. Everybody needs to take a number and clock in for 2014. The goal is to become the best salon/barbershop/nail/hair salon in Charlotte. You should be passing out flyers everywhere. When you’re at home and not servicing clients, you are clocked out. Claim what you came to do. Faith in God equals working towards your goals because we all know that faith without works is dead. Some things may take a little, some things may take a lot, but we all have to be willing to work hard to get to where we want to be.

 

 

 

 

Dee Shaw

Fashion and Beauty Blogger,

ThisKittenHasClaws.com