Friday, February 15, 2013

INTERVIEW: Ice Creme Beauty Bar With Octavia Coleman

So many women have made the decision to go natural, via the "big chop" or "grew out the chemicals", yet they struggle to find a stylist that truly understands the makeup of their hair and add little to helping them maintain their natural locks.

To shed light on this subject, I sat down with Octavia Coleman natural hairstylist and owner of Ice Creme Beauty.  While we were able to discuss the natural hair "trend" and products, I also had the chance to get to know Mrs. Octavia on a more personal level. I hope you enjoy this interview as much as I did. 



TKHC: What made you get into the beauty business?

ICBB: I chose cosmetology as my half day trade or elective in high school while still in Pennsylvania. I also observed that there weren't very many Beauty Shops if any, that catered to African American women. 

TKHC: Why did you choose "natural" hair?

ICBB: After coming to Charlotte, I noticed that southerners had their own style. They leaned  more towards the crunchy, gelled, spritzed, and sprayed hairstyles.  So, I wanted to introduce natural hair as a healthy alternative.

TKHC: In this day and age of social media and networking, what avenues do you choose to advertise and promote your business?

ICBB: I am a social networking advocate and believe it is a great way to obtain business.  I choose the the most popular and legitimate social networking sites to advertise and promote my business. These include Facebook, which I have gained 10% of my business from. Twitter, from which I have gained 40% of business and Instagram has generated 3%.  She also has recently signed on to Tumblr and FourSquare as well.

TKHC: Do you think natural hair is a fad or is it here to stay?

ICBB: Overall, I think natural hair is here to stay. I don't like when stylist force natural hair on others or the phrase "natural isn't for everybody" because we're all born with natural hair.  Octavia also expresses that hair needs to be healthy period, whatever you may choose. But if she "can help you go natural, that's great".

TKHC: What are your best or go to products?

ICBB: I first assess whether you are 100% vegan, where I would use natural or organic products. And if you are looking for a more polished look, I use honey and olive oil.  For naturals that like the relaxed look or straightened look, I use Pravana Smooth Out System which is like a Keratin Straightening System. Another product that she uses is the natural Nevo product line.  Octavia feels that the products that she uses should be affordable so that her clients can maintain their hair at home as well. The products that she uses are only sold in salons and range $10-$12, so that clients don't pay chain store mark ups.

TKHC: How does your shop differ from others and what makes it unique?

ICBB: Because I offer full service, massages, hair, weave, braids, as well as a la carte or add on items, I prefer the term beauty bar not salon. I do not double book, so that you are truly able to relax.  While under the dryer, you can enjoy a snack, a glass of wine, read a book on the Kindle or play a game on the iPad.  It is truly your personal boutique.  Another great incentive for moms that may not have a babysitter, your kids are welcomed at the Ice Creme Beauty Bar, which makes it extremely unique in that most shops or salons has a "no kids allowed, unless they are being serviced" policy.

TKHC: What would your customers be surprised to know about you?

ICBB: They would be surprised to know that I am very stubborn about my hair.  They would also be surprised to know that I don't shampoo my hair.  I tried Mizani shampoo before and it broke me out, so I cleanse my hair by brushing it, however, I do use the Influence product line, shea butter, cranberry, and honey to help with management and maintenance.

TKHC: Tell us a little bit about yourself. Who is Octavia?

ICBB: I am a party on the outside, conservative on the inside. What you see, is what you get.  She explains, that after college and many difficult prior experiences "she doesn't take herself too seriously". She also maintains that she is a very whimsical and flexible person.

As I observed Octavia with her well mannered, well behaved, and may I add very cute little boys, Kingston, 5, and Bishop, 18 mos, she holds her role as mom in high esteem. Her boys are very protective and respectful of their mommy. They were a pleasure to meet and be around. Octavia seemed in her element with her kids, it was amazing to witness their bond.

TKHC: How do you juggle family and your business?

ICBB: First of all, my husband was supportive and in my corner which I am very thankful.  I also built my business around being a stay at home mom.  The most important thing to balancing family life and business are schedules.  Octavia also has the luxury of taking her boys with her at times, and she has also had the pleasure of dealing with business owners and clients that are very understanding. Her motto is if "you respect my time, I will respect yours".

Now that we've gotten a glimpse into Mrs. Octavia Coleman's life as an amazing wife, mother, stylist, author, and business owner, I encourage you to set an appointment with her soon, so that you may truly experience the Ice Creme Beauty Bar difference.  I guarantee you won't regret it. If you would like find out what's going on with Octavia and her Beauty Bar make sure you follow her on Facebook: @IceCremeBeautyBar:Charlotte,NC Twitter: @ockielocks, Instagram @ockielocks, Foursquare: @IceCremeBeautyBar, and you may also visit her website at www.ockielocks.webs.com for latest information on speaking engagements, charity events, and more of the services that are offered.


By Dee PoeticMamii