Thursday, February 28, 2013

INTERVIEW: Dream Kings Clothing

TKHC: What inspired you to become a clothing designer?

DKC: I have always been into art and design. From high school into college design has just been something that I can use to relax. Whether it is for canvas or a t-shirt, it is a way I can chill out and clear my head. So when I realized that I could create a company that would allow me to design everyday and my job could become my passion, I decided that this is what I wanted to do.

TKHC: What inspires your designs?

DKC: Culture would be the biggest thing. The more art, design, and overall human culture you see the wider your pallet is when you sit down and create. I have had the blessing to travel to other countries and take in the traditional art first hand, and I think that is what has led to where I am as a designer today. The more art and design you allow yourself to be exposed to the more your design will grow. I think that this applies to any profession or passion.


TKHC: What types of clothing does your line offer?

DKC: We offer conscious clothing that is more than just a design. We believe at DKCo that what you wear lets the world know who you are and what you stand for. I know it sounds cheesy but we hope that when you wear our clothing that it gives you the ability to really think about the concepts we put into them. Our brand is meant to create a clothing item that goes further than looking good, but creates thought to whoever sees it.

 
(Dream Kings Music Group)

TKHC: What sets your line apart from other designers?

DKC: I think that designers are never really set apart from another, that’s like asking who is better, Picasso or Da Vinci. Each designer brings uniqueness to whatever they are working on. Hopefully enough people like the approach that I bring and other designers see what I do and take a little from me just as other designers or artists inspire me.



TKHC: Why do you think fashion and music are so intertwined?

DKC: I think both languages are universal, music and fashion is understood by all people. The two can be seen as another way of communicating with others. Both tell people who you are, what you feel, and what you stand for. Discovering new music and fashion is just as useful as a new language, and while you may learn others you never lose the love you have for your own. In fact it may make you appreciate and love your own more, but we should never be afraid to learn about others.



TKHC: Why do you think fashion is so important?

DKC: I don’t think it is. I think that it is a side note to what we are here to do. While the way you look and what you wear can give a person confidence, it is ultimately what we do with that confidence that makes it so powerful. It is an extension of our passion, but it can never define a person. So while fashion is not important, it is what we achieve with it that makes it relevant.



TKHC: Who is the one celebrity you would love to dress in your clothing?

DKC: I would say Gandhi, but he is not really a celebrity (though he should be). I hope that people will connect with the messages and concepts we are trying to spread rather than label success with a celebrity endorsement. We make the clothes for the people, if we happen to inspire some talented successful humans to share our knowledge, so be it. 



TKHC: Who is your style icon?

DKC: I am probably most inspired by the work of Tinker Hatfield. He is a designer that has been breaking barriers in both design and functionality for decades. I guarantee that 90% of your readers have seen his work and would thank him for making their fashion experience better. If you don’t know him look him up and check out his design sketches, that is a man who is constantly trying to innovate the world around him, and loves what he does.

TKHC: How can people purchase your clothes and keep in contact with you?

Our clothes are on our online shop, which can be found through www.dreamkingsclothing.com. You can tweet us @dreamkingsclo any time for questions, thoughts, or just want to connect.